University of Rhode Island Press Release
Rhode Island Starters
Samb, Thomas, Leggett, Martin, Tchikou
Stony Brook Starters
Policelli, Onyekonwu, Sarvan, Fitzmorris, Stephenson-Moore
How It Happened
A slow start and trouble defending the paint in the first half did Rhode Island in as the Rams fell 77-57 to Kansas State in the opening round of the Cayman Islands Classic Monday night.
Kansas State (4-0) opened the game with a 14-2 run as Rhode Island (1-3) began the game 1-for-6 from the field. The Wildcats used their size to score 26 points in the paint in the opening first half. Nae’Qwan Tomlin paced Kansas State with 13 points and Markquis Nowell added nine points and seven assists. The Wildcats were 18-of-31 from the floor as they build a 44-27 lead by the break.
The Rams played better basketball in the second half, but they were never able to threaten the Kansas State lead down the stretch.
Inside the Box Score
- After getting outrebounded in the first half 21-16, Rhode Island had a 16-15 edge in the second half.
- Kansas State finished with 38 points in the paint, including 26 in the first half.
- Rhode Island struggled with ball movement, getting just eight assists on 18 field goals.
- Sophomore Ishmael Leggett once again led the Rams with 13 points. He added five rebounds and three steals.
- Leggett has led Rhody in scoring in all four contests this season.
- Redshirt freshman Brandon Weston recorded his first career double-double, finishing with 10 points and 10 rebounds.
- Weston was able to get himself to the free throw line, making 6-of-8 at the stripe.
- Redshirt junior guard Jalen Carey had eight points on 4-of-5 shooting from the floor. He also had four steals.
- Sophomore guard Brayon Freeman had 11 points, all of which came in the second half.
- Forward Josaphat Bilau made his Rhode Island debut and had two rebounds and one assist in 16 minutes.
- Kansas State had a 22-8 advantage on fastbreak points, though Rhode Island committed fewer turnovers (16-21).
Rhode Island will be back in action Tuesday when it plays Tulane in the Cayman Islands Classic. Game time will be 5 p.m.